Saturday, November 28, 2009

Method 7, November 28, 2009

As I watched Lee LeFevre's video ("Social Bookmarking in Plain English"), I realized that not only is tagging useful, but I've been utilizing this for several years with Amazon and Shelfari. Imagine that! Now, it has become not only useful with me for those sites, but in the library as well. I see students everyday who are more interested in selecting books based on my recommendation or that of a fellow classmate. So tagging is going to be extremely useful in this respect. Can't wait to get started using this in my school library. I think even first and second graders will be excited to contribute and share tags. Hopefully, it will also lead to them posting comments (with a little help from their teachers and me---well, maybe a lot of help initially). On a good note: it can only help their writing skills.

As for social bookmarking, the necessity of this tool became painfully obvious as I thought back to my frustration this school year when my old school closed and consolidated with another. My computers were damaged in the move and although I eventually located the box with the backup zip disks, in the interim, it was frustrating to try and recall many of the websites I had used for various library skills and activities. Now, I can use Delicious anywhere, so I'm a new fan of this tool. And again, I'll be able to share it with not just students, but mostly with my co-workers and fellow school librarians.

This has been a wonderful lesson that has really jumpstarted my mind with ideas for using and, in the process, reinventing my school library's method for reaching patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment