Saturday, November 7, 2009

Jumping In With Both Feet

Went to a librarian's workshop last month and came away invigorated and happy that I am not so far behind in this ever-changing world of library technology. Ask most librarians and they will tell you that technology has placed a whole new emphasis on the importance of updating our skills and rethinking the way we run libraries---especially school libraries. Children are computer savvy and accustomed to information being presented to them in various technological ways. So any tools I can get to keep me updated and able to infuse that love of books and information skills to students is a good way to spend the day.

I attended three sessions and two of those were about technology. Got a lot of information, many new ideas, and a new energy about ways to enliven the school library experience. But it was also comforting to know that some of the things I've already been doing on my own can be utilized in my school library position to help students. Things like avatars, wikis, animotos, blogs---heck, even my Shelfari account!

At my near-retirement age, I could be satisfied with the status quo, but I love reading and technology so I'm jumping in with both feet. I hope you are too, regardless of your age or career.

No comments:

Post a Comment