Sunday, November 15, 2009

Method 3, November 15, 2009

Online productivity tools such as Google Docs, Zoho Projects, Wiki and Show are wonderfully invigorating and highly transforming. To know that I can perform all tasks online, access it anywhere, and not use my computer space is mind-boggling. The more articles and comments I read, and the more videos I watched, my mind began moving in a hundred directions and I became more eager to give cloud computing a chance.

As for library uses and benefits, the greatest is financial because living in the cloud saves time & money. In these times of library funding cuts, it seems to me that library productivity and patron usage would increase, OPAC services could be expanded, social networking sites could be unfiltered thus provided additional sources of often-needed patron information, and librarians could be the means by which patrons are instructed on how to use 2.0 tools effectively and efficiently.

Overall, I'd have to say that I am excited about living/computing in the cloud. Yet I know that I will proceed cautiously at first because of the ever-increasing incidences of successful hacking. But the endless possibilities to re-create the library is spurring me to proceed---with a bit of measured haste.

No comments:

Post a Comment